Friday, July 5, 2013

Decision Time

For the life of me, I can’t figure out how people train for an Ironman. Having completed my first half-ironman (70.3) back at the end of March, I’m still amazed 3 months later that I managed to fit enough training in to complete the 70+ miles. My training was based on 8-12 hours a week of doing each discipline 3-4 times each (though the swim at times was 2 times per week). Based on all my reading and discussions with more experienced triathletes, this seemed to be the best balance and time commitment for non-professional, busy folks like myself.

Going into training, I accepted the fact that it wasn’t going to be easy fitting in my new hobby with my already busy schedule of work and family life. At the end of the day, I am a father, a husband, and an educator (my work) before I am a triathlete. I think it is really important to have these priorities in order when approaching this or any hobby that demands so much time. And until I figure out how to make money at this hobby, I will continue to treat it as such. Now with that said, I have sacrificed family time to spend time on my training; it would be impossible to train 12 hours a week and not miss some time with the family. I really try and limit how much I do this, which means lots of really early morning workouts and including my kids on many of my workouts. It’s really important to go into this being flexible with your training. If you miss a workout, let it go and just focus on the next session when that time comes.
                
how I picture douche guy
Here is my advice for anyone deciding to get into this sport, include the family in your decision to become a triathlete, and plan, plan, plan. And yes, when you make the commitment to train and race, and you actually follow through (to whatever degree that is), you are a triathlete. A while back, I had a conversation with a triathlete friend who was criticized by a non-triathlete friend when he referred to himself as a triathlete. His friend, and I use the word friend loosely, tried to correct him by saying, unless he can make money as a triathlete, he isn’t a triathlete. If you follow basic logic, this guy is way off, he couldn’t be more wrong. And the mere fact he felt the need to correct him makes him a big, giant douche that needs to find his own passion instead of trying to trounce on the passions of others. Once you have trained and raced triathlons, you are a triathlete. Anyway, I regress; I was looking for anywhere in this blog to include that story. 

Now back to my point about including the family in your decision. I’m not suggesting that you ask your wife and kids for permission to enter the world of triathlon- my 4 year old and 1 year old don’t have that kind of control in our house (though my 4 year old thinks she does).  Explain to them how important this is to you and how much you want them to be a part of this. Help them see what a big commitment this is and how challenging it will be to dedicate so much time and energy to this, and how you will need their help. Think of your family as your team, kind of like a pit crew. My amazing and beautiful wife (words of affirmation) is the coach of my pit crew. I know that 8-12 hours a week of training would be nearly impossible without her on board. My wife is an incredible mother, devoted wife, kick-ass attorney, out-of-this-world cook, and the perfect pit-crew coach (more words of affirmation). My training and my life in general is that much better because she is in my life. Let me repeat that, my training and my life in general is that much better because my wife is in my life. There are many articles out there about divorce and triathlons, though the divorce rate hasn’t been specifically calculated for triathletes. My favorite article on this subject is The Plight of the Training Widow.  Those who have placed their hobby above all else are most definitely making life-altering decisions they may regret later. This is especially true when you add wife and kids to the mix.

10K Stroller Race in 2009 and 2013
If you have kids, get creative in how you include them in your training. Prior to entering triathlons, I was an avid runner. One of my first purchases as a father was a running stroller. Including my kids on many of my runs is some of the most memorable experiences I’ve had as a dad. Running and winning two 10k stroller races pushing my oldest daughter is right there at the top for life-time experiences. And now my youngest gets to be a part of that as well. I also take my oldest daughter with me from time to time when I go swimming at the gym. She gets to play in the kid area while I swim laps. Afterward, we usually go grab Jamba Juice and hang out for some quality father-daughter time. On many of our vacations that are travelable by car, I’ll take my bike and bike trainer with us. The bike trainer is easily one of the best triathlon investments I’ve made. When the baby goes down for her nap, the wife will head to the spa, and the 4 year old will sit down to watch a movie or go to kids club. And I will jump on the trainer, with the baby monitor next to me (yes, we bring a baby monitor on vacation, there is an ap for that) so I can see when the baby wakes. And then there are the more spontaneous forms of exercise that don’t involve swimming, biking, or running. Living room dance parties, running in the sprinklers, playing horse-back riding (I’m the horse), squats/ pushups with my daughter on my back and many other forms of play-like exercises that my daughter comes up with are regular occurrences in our house. Most of these activities leave me sweating and feeling similar to a good run or ride. And the best part is how much fun we are having together.

Like with any serious commitment in life, you have to plan. Missing a workout here and there isn’t a big deal, unless you are missing more than you are making. The last thing you want to do is show up at the starting line of a race underprepared, or even feeling like you are underprepared. The easiest way to keep you training consistent is to plan out your weeks ahead of time. Because my schedule changes from week to week, I only plan out my week one week at a time. Include your wife or significant other in on your plan so there aren’t any surprises when you head out to train. Plan together so that you can compare calendars and make adjustments where needed. If you don’t have a wife or significant other, or perhaps your bike is your significant other, it is still a good idea to have a plan for your training. Training for triathlons takes a lot of thought that goes well beyond, “I think I will go for a swim” (said in my best Lennie Small’s voice). Your training needs to have purpose. In the next blog, Andy will talk about one way to give your training purpose by joining triathlon groups like MaccaX.

 

1 comment:

  1. GREAT post mate! I love the way your bring reality into what some age-groupers thing is a world unto itself. Great ideas and insight.

    ReplyDelete