Thursday, July 25, 2013

Triathlon: It's far more than a sport.

~ Posted by Andy Blasquez

If you've already done your Ironman, you've done your Ultra distance race, you've filled your calendar with another half dozen 70.3s and a full...this post is a bit of "preaching to the choir".  If you're just getting into fitness, or into triathlon specifically, this is for you.  I'm only a couple of steps ahead!

Some of you already know that I'm a Realtor and a Teacher.  I love both business as well as teaching, and I can't seem to give either of them up!  Well, when I started doing real estate, a friend and mentor handed me a book titled, "21 Things I Wish My Broker Told Me".  It was a phenomenal resource, and I still go back to my highlighted, coffee stained notes from time to time.  Right now, however, I'm wishing there was a book called, "The First 172 Things I Wish Someone With A Clue Told Me About Triathlon So I Didn't Have to Learn it the ALL Hard Way!"  Notice I didn't say that I wish my coach gave me that book, because didn't have one to hand it to me, nor would I have known that I needed 1...or 3, or 6 different coaches and mentors.  So here are a few bits of insights for the true beginner.

The sport of Triathlon is amazing.  Three disciplines, right?  Wrong.  In the race, there are 5, and that's just in the race.  FIVE?  Yes!
  1. Swimming
  2. Biking
  3. Running
  4. Transitions
  5. Race Nutrition
These aren't "Kind Of, Sort Of" disciplines, they are absolute must haves.  Beyond those, however, is where the heart and soul of the Triathlon lifestyle is.  Let me list a number of items that aren't part of those 5:
Do I really need all of this stuff for a 70.3?
  1. Aerobic/Base training
  2. Stretching
  3. Speed training
  4. Daily Nutrition
  5. Strength training
  6. Managing injuries
  7. Mental toughness
  8. Core training
  9. Massage
  10. Open Water training
  11. Yogo and/or Sportoga
  12. Training nutrition
  13. Training for hot conditions
  14. Getting intimate with your foam roller. (If you're doing this right, you'll NEVER like it)
  15. What kind of sunscreen doesn't burn your eyes 400 meters into a 2k swim?
  16. Why is the swim the first part of the race?
  17. I love my new bike, now my knees hurt.
  18. I love my new shoes, now my knees hurt!
  19. What the hell is Fartlek training, and do I want anything to do with it?
  20. How did this get so expensive...and I don't even have the 'good stuff'?
  21. How to stay in Zone 2 Hear Rate without going crazy.
  22. Middle distance and long distance events aren't just longer.  They are different sports entirely.
  23. Unless you're single, or you really want to be...this is a family activity.  
  24. and on
  25. and on
  26. and on...
So, Before you get completely overwhelmed, disappointed, or have an anxiety attack and get out of the sport forever, know this: 

I do not consider myself an endurance athlete.  I LOVE this lifestyle.  I LOVE my training group (MaccaX and the MX12 VIP group on Facebook).  I love that at nearly 47, I'm stronger than I've ever been.  My endurance is improving.  My speed and strength are improving.  I am a much better person for being a part of the Triathlon family, and my dreams are actually coming true.


For about the last 400 yards of my first ever Triathlon,
Ironman, California, I told myself I wouldn't cry.
I crossed the line and saw my wife and kids and
have never felt that much love and joy in my life.
The boys thought I was sweating.
My wife, with tears in her eyes,
gave me the warmest hug I've ever felt!
I can only imagine what my first full IM will be like!
So I implore you to stay. 
 
You've been drawn to this sport for a reason, or a number of reasons.
 
So go online and register! 
 
Put it on the calendar and start building.
 
Do a little one, but do one! 
 
Take small bites. 
 
Make small improvements at a time.
 
Master one skill at a time, or even part of a skill.
 
Learn from those much, much stronger than you.
 
Enjoy the journey.
 
Watch your ego dissolve.
 
Enjoy the friendships you'll acquire along the way.
 
Treat your race day as a gift; a reward for the work, pain, and sacrifice you've put in.
 
Remember each moment.
 
Remember those who sacrifice for you...
 
...and when all else fails,
 
Embrace the Suck!



5 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful post, Andy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kikay,

      Thanks tons for the kind words. I appreciate your feedback. Much more to come!

      :)

      Delete
  2. My brother, I was there in spirit watching you live on the internet. All of us here at the house were tuned in a nervous. You killed it. I'll be at your next one. and if the full one is closest enough too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and that is a great shot of Michael and Jeffrey too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks brother! I could feel you there when I was out there FREAKING OUT...even before the event.

    Can't wait for the next one! 2.5k swim right into a 50 mile trainer set last night. Getting there.

    ReplyDelete